Change your browser!

Thursday 22 July 2010

Pre-Season Glee & Departure

Pre-season has properly kicked off with 2 wins and 2 good performances (so I’ve been told). Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to watch the games so I can’t talk about them. However, I will be at the Emirates Cup so I can see how we’re all doing then.

Sadness

First and foremost I’m in a state of depression right now after our Number 9 departed yesterday. Yes, Eduardo has left for Shakhtar. It almost feels like 2007ish when all our immortals were walking out the door, Henry, Dennis, Freddie, Viera and Pires. Eduardo was a player that like the 5 (and many others whom either left or retired before 2007) that connected with the fans and loved us. Much like some others at the club whom are still with us at time of writing. It’s true when they say “Injury can make you a better player” because initially I think Eddie went up in everyone’s estimation when he had his leg broken, not saying Eddie wasn’t loved already, but I remember going to Villa the following year whilst he was still in rehabilitation and hearing “Eduardo Da Silva, Arsenal’s Number 9” sung throughout the game. He wasn’t even on the bench, let alone playing. He’d shone in his first few months, and we looked like he and Adepaymesomemore were going to help us win the title. Then a silly tackle and all was lost, I think Martin Taylor should pay Arsenal huge compensation for costing us a talent and the title, but in reality, he doesn’t owe us a thing but an apology and a “It wont happen again”.

I am sad, he never will be remembered by anyone outside the club for doing anything. He didn’t win anything nor come too close. Yet, for any Arsenal fan he must remain a legend. If you haven’t already, go to the Arsenal website and read his message to all Arsenal fans, its like he has been here for 10 years and was there when we won the double and the immortal season and is an Arsenal legend who is moving on. Instead, he’s a lad we signed, who had a horrible injury and unfortunately became a burden with his obvious fear of such thing happening again.

He didn’t have to write us such message, but if anything he was pure class for doing so, and will remain a favourite of mine forevermore. I wish him the best in his future endeavours and thank him for his contributions.

Oh and to the media saying he was a failure, I think you will find Taylor can’t tackle and is the only reason he couldn’t win us anything or score goals after his injury.

We’re the North Bank…

In 2003 I made my first trip to Highbury (at the age of 9) and was introduced to a chant that forever became familiar with my association of Highbury. Yes, you guessed it “We’re the North Bank, We’re the North Bank, we’re the North Bank, Highbury!” It became a popular chant of mine and wherever it was heard I joined in (even at Molineux where it has now been adopted). However, that chant faded (even though still sung at Emirates on occasion) until now. In this ‘Arsenalisation’ project the clock is back and so are our precious terrace names. Its good to finally be able to sing the chant again, and hope during my two days it is at least sung once.

The Numbers Game

Well, I hope you haven’t pre-ordered any Carlos Vela 12, or RVP 11 shirts because they’re all obsolete. RVP has officially changed from 11 to 10 (following Arsenal & Dutch legend Dennis Bergkamp) whilst Vela has been moved to occupy the 11 shirt. I’m guessing anyone who got a shirt before the switch will probably get an exchange like they did for Bendtner after his move from 26 to 52 late in pre-season. Or I’m sure the club have held back shirts for that reason. This brings into question whether 9 or 12 will soon be occupied by anyone else in the coming few days. For me, it’s fine, I’m following my FIFA Virtual Pro’s footsteps and choosing ‘Tonkinson 94’ (this in a bid to stop the player jinx I apparently cause when getting players names printed).

 

Anyway, I think that’s all the big news, hope you enjoy the rest of pre-season and hope anyone going to the Emirates Cup has a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment