Change your browser!

Saturday 23 October 2010

My Top Five Favourite Arsenal Players

Hello again, its Friday, its a few hours until live Football and its time for a quick history lesson. Well, I say History lesson, its basically me listing my five favourite players to where the colours of Arsenal. Now, lets say this, I will not lie, I’ve been following Arsenal since 2001/2002, I’m not going to put players from the 70s/80s/90s just because they are legends, simply because YES, I know about the club’s fine history but NO, I wasn’t there to see them play and therefore I have no grounds to comment on them, so here’s my list:

5) Andrey Arshavin – Maybe its too recent to add him to many top 5 lists, but I just think the man is a silent genius. On his day he is the best attacking player in the Premiership, his vision and his touch is unreal. The thing that lets him down is his current form and his laziness. He has all the potential yet he doesn’t tend to use it all. However, since his 4 at Anfield I’ve loved Arshavin and I think if he can be on his game all the time, we’ll win something with him.

4) Freddie Ljungberg – The man himself that could argue he got me supporting Arsenal, if you don’t know the story, it goes I watched the 2002 cup final, he scored, I brought an Arsenal shirt, rest is history. However, during most of his time at Arsenal, Freddie was amazing. With his goals he carried us to that Premiership title in 2002 (along with many others). 46 goals in 216 appearances is not bad for a Midfielder either. However, not only did he score goals he set up his fair share too, he was the perfect package. I could not dismiss the man from my list simply because without him, I’d probably be some Wolves fan who shouts “Grr..kill ‘em Karl Henry!” instead of some Wolves fan who shouts “YES! Play football Matt Jarvis!”.

3) Dennis Bergkamp - :O How dare I put God 3rd you may ask? Well I did! No, I love Bergkamp, he was by far our must talented player in years when he came. His vision, his work-rate, his desire, his GOAL AGAINST NEWCASTLE! Dennis was a perfect footballer. The only reason he doesn’t get higher than 3rd is because, as much as I loved him, I never seemed to appreciate him openly as much as I did others. It was only when watching some of his stuff months ago I was like “Wow, that man, is a God”. I can only hope Arshavin or Wilshere become half the player Dennis the Menace was, because if they do you can shove your Rooney’s, Drogba’s and Tevez’ up your Arse—nal.

2) Cesc Fabregas – When he leaves, I will cry over it. He is the heartbeat of our team and he is another genius. There’s only one man who could beat him in this list. I don’t think Cesc needs much explanation, the man is almost as perfect as Dennis. All we need is for him to be fit every week and denounce his love for Barcelona and we’d be unstoppable.

1) Thierry Henry – How could this man not be first. If there’s one player who I wanted to be like (and I was a striker as a player) it was Henry. The amount of goals and memories he left us, and a player who left with dignity. To see him play as many times as I did, I feel honoured. I feel Henry is a type of striker that comes around once in a decade, and I’m surprised he didn’t win “Player of the Year” every year. I wish we still had him but what can you do? I’m just glad he has so many medals with us and loves us that much.


UPDATE: Notable Mentions

Patrick Vieira
Robert Pires
David Seaman
Jens Lehmann
Robin Van Persie
Jack Wilshere

No comments:

Post a Comment